instead. Black and Blue's Orlando Magic Blog: Weekend Magic Rumblings, Socks Beat The Snot Out Of Snakes

Monday, June 25, 2007

Weekend Magic Rumblings, Socks Beat The Snot Out Of Snakes

Well, the verdict is in...and you like socks over snakes.


In one of the most lopsided victories in recent history, Deanna destroyed Danielle, proving once and for all that straight hair beats wavy, smiling makes you look prettier, and guys just don't want living reptiles in their fantasies. -Actually this vote doesn't prove any of those things, but rather that Deanna simply had it goin' on.

Now that we have that taken care of, let's take a look at some of the rumblings that happened over the weekend:

First of all, I won $50 in Atlantic City. I will spend much of the day debating whether to spend this or distribute it in an evil parade like the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman.

Next, The New York Daily News reported that, "Several GMs expect Seattle's free-agent-to-be, Rashard Lewis, to leave, with Orlando as his prime destination, with Carter likely re-signing in New Jersey." This is the best news that could come out of the weekend, short of Stan Van Gundy entering the 4th of July hot dog eating contest. As you readers know, Shard is my pick to wind up with the Magic and I think all that is left is clearing out money for him.


In other news, Stephen A. Smith said on Sportscenter that he expects Grant Hill to sign with MIAMI. This should be taken with a grain of salt because this is the same guy that said the Magic would forever regret taking Howard over Okafor and that the Pistons would never beat the Lakers in the 2004 NBA Finals. Still, it is fun to read simply because the Heat seem to really want to amp up this brewing rivalry. I really hope that the Heat don't get Grant, but if they do I know that there will be several dates on the calendar that I circle next year (combined with getting a Pat Riley dartboard).

The last two news stories were halfway believable, but in more stunning news from out of nowhere, the "My Giant" star Fran Vasquez is now coming out and saying that he would like to play in the NBA sometime soon. It doesn't look like it would be this year, but the chances suddenly look good that it would be in the next two years, "When this one [contract] finishes, I will like to see if I can play there [Orlando],'' Vazquez wrote in an exchange of e-mails with the Sentinel last week. "Sure, I will like to play in the NBA one day. I am a more mature player, and I have improved in some areas of my game. I know I can still improve a lot, but I am working on that every day.'' If the Magic got Franny I really don't know how I would react. I mean, I want him to suffer for ditching our team and making us miss out on Danny Granger, but on the other hand looking at game film of him he actually looks like he could help us out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inuu74daX1c

I'll probably just boo him for a quarter and then cheer the rest of the way...unless he sucks, and then I'll just boo him and tp his car.

The last bit of news is just something I read in the Star Ledger when in NJ this past weekend: The Magic and Wizards both are trying to get assistant coach Tom Thibodeau this summer, with the Magic having the slight edge. Tom is considered one of the top assistants in the country and was in consideration for the Kings' head coaching job.

Let's recap: Shard looks like he likes Orlando, the Heat rivalry might get amped up a notch, Fran Vasquez suddenly likes the idea of playing for us, and one of the top assistants might join our squad.

Things are looking up for now in Magic Land.

No comments: